Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oh What a Beautiful Morning! (original post date 11/13/08)

Lately, I've been waking up a little earlier on the weekends than I usually do. Does that mean I'm a grown up? Now, when I say early I mean about 7am. I suppose that may not be early to some but without any children to beckon me at the crack of dawn I could sleep until 9, 10, 11am...or even until 12pm if I wanted to, right? Well that might be pushing it but I certainly feel a little more adult-like rising all on my own at 7am on a Saturday morning. I mean, after all I am 29 now. (Yipes!) A couple of weekends ago I woke up to an early morning fog. The fall folliage mixed with the foggy haze was so beautiful that I felt inspired to go for a walk. I put on my coat and shoes, grabbed my camera and headed out.


Houston is building his parent's new house in between our house and their old house. There is about ten acres between us now, but soon there will only be five. Yikes! They're gaining on us! Just kidding. I couldn't ask for better inlaws and having them close by has been nothing but a blessing. The framing on the new house had just begun and I decided I would walk through the pasture to see the progress and see just how close they would be.


There is a gate that separates their land from ours (and keeps the cows in). Speaking of the cows, I still get a little nervous walking through the pasture when they're out there. They just stare at me in a creepy I'm about to charge you sort of way and sometimes after I walk passed them they start following me. I don't really like that. Thankfully, on this particular morning they were all cozied up together by the barn and didn't have any aspirations to move.


Standing at the gate, I could barely see the frame of the house through the fog. To get an idea of where our house is from theirs, here is a shot of our house from the gate.



I really am excited about their new house. My mother-in-law is a wonderful cook and host and she has spent many years with quite a small kitchen. Her new house has an amazing kitchen that she, along with the help of an architect, designed especially for baking and entertaining. It is going to be really great. I am also really excited for my father-in-law. He seems to be really excited about the new place and I think coming home to a nice new house will be very relaxing for him. Here is a shot of what the house looked like that morning.



As I walked back to our house the fog had cleared. It was such a beautiful morning. It reminded me how refreshing it can be to spend time outside when it is pretty like that.





Here is one last shot of what the inlaw's place looks like now. I love the sloped roof with the dormers and the gables on each side and the large front porch where they can set out on their rocking chairs and watch the sun go down. I feel like I can take a small amount of credit for the home's elevation. I found a picture of a house on Southern Living's website that is almost identical to this one. This style had been what my mother-in-law had in mind so I printed it off and it ended up being the main picture she went by for the front of the house. It is going to turn out amazing and I love to watch as it all comes together.



Bless you, if you have made it through this entire post. It went a little long!

0 comments: