Saturday, January 23, 2010

Qua Pasa? (original post date 7/30/08)

I know, I know. It's been forever since my last post. It has been a busy couple of months and the summer has flown by. We've gone to the lake, attended my ten year high school reunion, celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary and went on vacation to Cabo San Lucas. We had been looking foward to our vacation since early this year when we made the plans. Finally, it was the day before we were scheduled to leave and I was getting really excited throughout the day at work. That evening as Houston and I were finishing packing we discovered some startling news. Houston's passport had expired in March! We were completely shocked and totally embarassed that we could be so irresponsible. We imediately checked to be sure we could still cross the border with a birth certificate and driver's license. We soon learned of the new law recently passed that you had to have a passport. We were speachless. I remember sitting on the floor with my head in my hands trying to let the terrible news register. A few minutes later Houston had an idea. He had researched online that you can still drive or walk across the border without a passport. He proposed the idea to change our flight to San Diego, walk across the border to Tijuana, rent a car and drive down the entire Baja pennisula (24 hr drive) to Cabo San Lucas. I was totally game and started to get excited but there were so many details to work out. While Houston talked to the airline to check on rescheduling our flight, I checked online for information on driving down the baja. I found lots of great information and many people saying the drive was really amazing. By 3am we had changed our flights, reserved a rental car in Tijuana and confirmed with our resort in Cabo that we would be arriving two days late. We were also able to change our flight home to Monday instead of Saturday to allow for the two days of driving on the way back. After a few hours of sleep we were headed to the airport. I was a little nervous about a few things but mostly excited. Houston and I had always wanted to plan a road trip to somewhere in Mexico and now after only a few hours of planning it was happening. One of the things I love most about Houston is that he is so much fun. We both love being spontaneous and adventurous and this was definately going to be an adventure! The trip was a blast and we honestly would not have wanted it any other way.

I put together a video slide show of our pictures from the trip. Just FYI, it's meant to be cheesy. Especially the pictures of the resort in Cabo. I had a lot of fun putting this together. Enjoy!


0 comments: