Saturday, January 23, 2010

Weekend at Willow Springs (original post date 9/30/08)

H & I went to the boys ranch for the weekend to stay with the Liddel house. We had a great time as usual. There are only 4 boys at that house right now so it was pretty low key. There are lots of things that made me laugh this weekend. I'll give you the highlights. (I totally forgot my camera so I missed a lot of the action on Friday & Saturday but we went by our house on Sunday before church so I got a few pics.)


Here we all are (minus Houston) in the van playing it cool. We were waiting patiently for H while he ran into Lowes after church.



So back to the things that made me laugh.

Funny thing #1.

There is a new little boy next door. His name is Cameron (Cameron Kale Keaton to be exact) and he is 9 yrs old and in the 4th grade. He goes to Park Road Elementary and his teacher's name is Mrs. Taylor and she is the nicest teacher in the whole 4th grade. I picked up pretty quickly that this little guy has lots of energy. Then I remembered that last time we were at the ranch we had heard about a new boy coming that was on medication to help keep him from bouncing off the walls. This was definately him. He's a cute little guy with blond hair, blue eyes and lots of freckles. He came over on Saturday afternoon. H & a couple of the guys & me were watching a movie in the living room. Cameron storms in, runs up the stairs to the loft area and starts playing pool and ping pong all at the same time jumping back and forth from one to the other and making lots of noise. I have to add that when he came in he had on a cowboy hat, mud boots up to his thighs, jean shorts, no shirt and was literally covered in dirt. I still would like to know if he was actually rolling around in the dirt somewhere or how in the world it got all over him. So it's pretty hard to hear the TV anyways because the house is so big and open and some of us were getting a little irritated that he was making so much noise. Houston asked Cameron if Derin knew he was here and Cameron said, "Yeah, he's getting the garbage out of the garage and I'm just waiting for him to finish". Well it turns out that Derin is not getting the garbage. So as nicely as possible we suggested to Cameron that he go and "check in". I felt a little bad about it but we really weren't sure if anyone knew where he was and he was pretty wired to say the least. Earlier that day I was talking to my Mom on my cell phone in our room and Cameron comes running in, says "I have to go to the bathroom", continues into our bathroom and doesn't even close the door all the way. I sat there for a minute a little dazed and then decided I should leave and "give him a little more privacy". When I went back into our room, well let's just say it wasn't pleasant and I ended up having to do some cleaning. It wasn't that bad but when I gave the details to Houston (I'll spare you of them) he was a little disgusted. I couldn't help but just laugh. He reminded me of my little brothers when they were learning to use the big potty and would yell for me to come and "help" them.


So funny thing #2.

The guys at the ranch love to play basketball and this weekend was no different. They played for hours and hours. Regular games, PIG, HORSE, whatever. What's so funny about that? Well, the goal was 4ft tall and made by Little Tikes.



I am not even joking. They played 2 on 2 Saturday night for hours. And it was like tackle basketball or something. Thankfully though no one got too out of hand or crazy. On top of that, there is no telling how many games of Pig & Horse were played. I played three games with Shaquille and I beat him twice!! I asked him if he was letting me win and he said no. Probably was though.



Here is H & Shaq in action.





Funny thing #3.

Saturday night I had been cooking dinner for our 4 guys, 2 guys from next door and Houston. I went to tell them it was ready and discovered all 7 of them completely glued to the TV and I kid you not, they were watching Spongebob Square Pants, The Movie. It was a pretty funny sight. I sat down for a second next to Houston and told him dinner was ready. He said, "Okay, this is almost over". So I watched the rest of it with them. Have you seen it? I mean just to be quick, the ending involved David Hasslehoff carrying Spongebob across the ocean and then launching him back to his home under the sea via the muscles in his chest. I mean where do they come up with this stuff? And why were they watching that?

Last, Funny thing #4.

This is John.



You might remember him from the Leprechaun video? He was recently nominated for a few things for the senior class nominations. I listed them on the photo above. John wore this thick, flannel work shirt the entire time he vacuumed the living room and cleaned his room while continuing to say, "Burr, it's cold in here". He then insisted that I take this picture of him in front of the pond while he pretended it was really cold outside. However, it had to be well into the 90s. Best of luck to you, John with the nominations and all. But I think they forgot one.



Just kidding. He's not crazy.

Well we sure had a fun time with all the guys this weekend. After dinner on Saturday night Cody came over and watched a movie (not spongebob) with John and H & I . Cody is the only guy left from our house when we were there as houseparents. We love Cody. He's a great guy and really sweet. And a little goofy too. It was nice to hang out with him for a while. Again I have to give props to John and Katrina who are the houseparents of the Liddel house. They are truly amazing and give so much to their boys. I think they are going on close to 10 yrs there. Pretty amazing.

Whew. That was a long post.

0 comments: